Apple Watch Series 2 Review

Fitness takes over the Apple Watch

 The Apple Watch 2 is not different on the design front, though Apple has roped in some new variants like the ceramic version. It is still a stylish, good looking watch that you would want to wear without the whole world staring at your wrist. Also, the basic Apple Watch bands are the most comfortable to wear over a long period of time, especially if you are the type that likes to keep the wearable on during sleep.

 

What is good?


I have used the first Apple Watch on and off during the past year. It’s a great device for keeping track of your activities and being ahead of your notifications. However, I needed only a third of the watch’s functionality. But with the actionable complications and app dock in watchOS 3, I ended up using the apps more. Now I tap on the activity icons on the watch face to see my steps or heart rate, avoiding multiple swipes and taps like before. Also, I can easily switch to my favourite app, and not go the app screen which I still find very complicated.




 

Apple has launched a new set of watch faces which are very stylish. But they also utilise the abilities of a smartwatch better. There are screens now that show you a lot of information, each actionable on a single tap.  The new processor is faster than before and you can feel it. The slight wait that was customary for apps to open on the first version is now gone for good. Apps load instantly and switching between them is a breeze too.
The Watch 2 comes with GPS. So it can track your route even if you don’t have the phone with you. However, to save battery this feature is not on all the time, only when you have selected an outdoor run or walk. And when the phone is nearby, it will use the GPS on the phone as default.






I found the new breathe feature really handy in coping with stress at work. It helped me relax and refocus on work and get stressed out all over again.
The battery life has improved. There have been days when I have squeezed out close to 22 hours. This is the brightest display on pretty much any device at the moment. So no squinting to read under a bright sun.



What is not that great?


The Apple Watch still takes close to 90 minutes to reach full charge. So if you have forgotten to keep the watch on the dock overnight or at least early in the morning, you have an issue.
The app screen on watchOS is still something I fail to comprehend, at least in first glance. It is rarely that I go there or open an app from it. Apple needs to figure out a better way.




The Apple Watch is smart enough to understand what you are doing and log it likewise. However, it does not switch off the GPS when you are done with your outdoor activity, and I realised I am not smart enough to do it myself at the end of walks. This is something Apple could work on.

Verdict


Given the build quality and sheer usability, the Apple Watch 2 is now the best smartwatch out there. Buy this if you want to make a style statement and a lifestyle statement. For me, the Apple Watch, especially the satisfaction of seeing those full rings at the end of the day, has been a good motivating factor that helped me lose a couple of kilos after many years.







Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »